Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bruins & the NHL Trade Deadline

Tomas KaberleWell folks, the NHL trade deadline is looming once again: February 28th, 2011, 3PM EST. The Boston Bruins are apparently in talks--yes, again--with the Toronto Maple Leafs for their coveted puck-moving defenseman, Tomas Kaberle. The thing is, Kaberle has apparently stated that he only will waive his NTC for Boston. In doing so, his trade value has dropped substantially, since it means the Bruins wouldn't be in a bidding war with him. Burke said that Boston's not the only team he's speaking with, but we all know that he's probably just trying to recoup some value Kaberle's statement may have made.

What do we give up for Kaberle, an UFA? I figure either a roster player or a 2nd rounder would work, since his contract is just about up. But I've heard some doozies from Leafs fans on Twitter. The first one that made me laugh (and probably one of the reasons folks are calling them "delusional Leafs fans") was Toronto's 1st round pick back PLUS Tim Thomas. For Kaberle and nothing else. LOL. Yes folks, all I can do is laugh out loud at work, and get strange looks from coworkers after that one.

Even better: Tyler Seguin plus their #1 pick back for Kaberle. Whahaha. That's really ridiculous. It just troubles me that Leafs fans seem to think their players are so much more valuable than anyone else. If Mike Fisher had been a Leaf, they'd have expected three first round picks for him!

Blake WheelerI liked the one that Mike Miccoli was pondering: Kaberle for the #2 pick from MINN along with Blake Wheeler and Zach Hamill or Jamie Arniel. This would make a lot of sense for Toronto, since they'd gain a linemate for Kessel, and a prospect. It's no secret to anyone that follows me on Twitter that I'm pretty damn tired of Blake Wheeler's laziness. I think he could be an awesome player if he could only get himself motivated. He proved last season that he could adapt to new roles and be good at them (read: lots of time on the PK), so he does have decent value. But to me and many other Bruins fans, lazy doesn't translate well when it comes to the playoffs. Definitely would be a good rebuild-minded deal for the Leafs. I also liked @ThankYouKessel's thought that perhaps the pick would be conditional. I think the Leafs would be fools not to take this deal, because both Arniel and Hamill are highly-touted prospects. There's a chance it could also be Joe Colborne, but I'm not sure PC wants to let him go this soon.

Mark StuartI'm not so keen on the Mark Stuart trade rumors, sending him to the Chicago Blackhawks for a pick. I'm biased of course, because he's my second favorite Bruin only to Milan Lucic. That said, I can see that it would probably be better to keep Adam McQuaid, who's younger, and of similar play style. But that said, why not trade Boychuk, who's been pretty invisible this year (totally suffering from Matt Hunwick-itis)? Boychuk is a fan fave, but Stuart is a leader. I definitely see him getting the A at some point.

Only time will tell, but no matter what happens, I for one am excited about the Bruins chances this off-season.

No comments: