Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fond Farewell to Stu & Wheels

Yesterday the Bruins traded away Mark Stuart & Blake Wheeler, a deal that Chiarelli was getting ready at the same time as the Kaberle deal, to free up some cap space; I think maybe he has another move up his sleeve, but that's just a hunch. At the very least, he wants to have the option to make another move. He is such a sly and wily GM, love that guy. Anyone who's calling for his head on a platter needs to chillax. Rich Peverly is a great pick-up. And Kaberle is highly-skilled. The Bruins just drastically improved, folks.

That said, Stu was definitely a favorite of mine. I am gonna miss him a lot. He had some crazy open-ice hits, and was just so sound defensively. I also think he was a great mentor to Adam McQuaid. Simply put, Stu was a leader all-around. I hope he eventually gets a shot to earn an A in Atlanta. Their fans are going to love him methinks.

The other awesome thing about Stu is how passionate he is when it comes to the military and raising money to help those who've risked their lives for our country. He spent a lot of time and money for Military Night, buying tickets for many, many folks. I'm going to miss him a lot.

Blake Wheeler is a big body, also skilled, who never really proved his worth in Boston. Yeah he was decent on the PK, but when you're 6'5" and skilled, we need some production out of you. For what Wheels has accomplished so far this year, I think Chris Kelly is a great fill-in with a better attitude. Perhaps going back to a non-hockey market will take a bit of pressure off Blake.

On the bright side, I realized that Atlanta has two more games left up here, one in NY, and one in NJ. You can bet I'm gonna be there! I managed to snag a lower-level seat in NJ for just $40! Very excited, and you can expect to see some photos of our boys--in blue.

In closing, I wish both of them the best with their new team. I'm truly looking forward to February 28. And I'm also very much looking forward to a Boston Bruins cup run!

No comments: