Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Lisa's Mid-season NHL Awards

Saw an article on CBS Sports, and figured I'd take a crack at naming my mid-season NHL awards for 2011-12!

Hart: Claude Giroux - hands down, this kid is the real deal. Hope he can stay healthy the rest of the year, and claim the real Hart in June!

Vezina: Henrik Lundqvist - I think it's time that everyone realizes he's *the* reason the Rangers have been as good as they are. He plays a ton of minutes, and is very reliable. Will be interesting to see if he can take it to the next level in the playoffs.

Norris: Zdeno Chara - You want to call me a homer, but you have to admit Chara's been phenomenal this year. Yes, Shea Weber is also fantastic, but Chara has a decisive edge when it comes to +/-, +27 to +12. The Bruins shut down the other teams' offense, and a main reason is Chara.

Calder: Adam Henrique - As a Devils season ticket holder, I've seen this kid in a number of games. He's quick, smart, and he definitely flies under the radar. If for some reason the Devils can't win the shoot-out with their first three guys (Kovalchuk, Parise, Elias), they've got Henrique at four. They've got a lot of faith in him and so do I. If he stays healthy, he has the edge over Nuge, and he'll win in June.

Jack Adams: Paul MacLean, though I've been saying I think the Senators will be back in the playoffs before the Leafs! He's done a phenomenal job with this team, one that most figured would be competing for a lottery pick.

Selke: Patrice Bergeron - This guy is insane and it's high-time he gets some recognition. I attribute the growth of both Seguin & Marchand, Bergeron's line-mates, to him. He's a great leader and such a responsible player.

Best Surprise: Ottawa not sucking. I thought they'd be better than the Leafs, but didn't think they'd be doing this well.

Biggest Disappointment: Los Angeles Kings. Seriously?! This was supposed to be their year. I have no clue how they manage to suck year in, year out. Though I guess I really shouldn't be surprised after spending my youth following them. Curse of McSorely's Curved Stick.

Best Acquisition: Ian White - What a bargain! How on earth did they get him to sign under $3 million?

Worst Acquisition: Tomas Kaberle - Seriously Carolina?! If the Bruins didn't want him, you must have known something was up. He's lazy and out of shape. But I guess I don't have to tell you guys that. Luckily you were able to get rid of him.

No comments: